Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Where do your teeth come from?


Did you ever wonder where your teeth came from?  No, I don’t mean how the developed in your body, but when you get a crown, bridge or denture; who made it? It seems more and more dentists are using labs that send their work to forgein countries to be completed.  China has become one of the local favorites for inexpensive crowns.

In 2008, many reports were released showing that lead was found in the base metals that are used in some crowns.  Further investigation uncovered that even the procealin used in the crowns may have included trace amounts of lead.  Recently, the State of New Jersey passed a law requiring all dentists to inform their patients of any laboratory products that were fabricated outside of the United States.

In my office, I have made the firm decision to use only dental laboratories that manufacture their products in the United States.  My philosophy is that I will not place anything in my patient’s mouth that I would not place in my families or mine.

The moral of this short article is to tell patinets buyer be ware.  If in doubt ask your dentist who is making your crown or denture.  The best type of patient is a well-informed patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment